Thursday, May 24, 2012

Springing Into Summer

The kiddos' last day of school is this Friday--yippee!!! This will be my first summer home with the kids since I left my job 10 months ago. I have thought about this moment ever since I left my job. I've never had the experience of being with my kids all day every day, and I am thankful to God for giving me the opportunity to do this.

We will have a lot of firsts this summer. First vacation without having to worry about getting home and catching up on a bazillion email messages before getting back to the office. First time the kids won't have to fend for themselves in day care. First time to attend Vacation Bible School at our church. First time to participate in lots of fun summer activities we've never done together.

Most importantly, I want to use this summer to do some things that stretch us a little and challenge our comfort level when it comes to doing things for others. I'm talking about taking it to the streets--literally. Our family likes good food and we like to go biking, and I recently read an article about a guy and his family in North Carolina who make breakfast tacos on the weekend and deliver them via their bicycles to people who are hungry. We've done this before from our car, but never from our bikes. We will have a few kinks to work out logistically, like being safe in Houston traffic. Well, even if we end up delivering from our car, who doesn't like a good breakfast taco in the morning?

I'm a tiny bit anxious about my ability to keep up with the kids all day, especially with Luke. Those of you who know Luke know how motivated and energetic he is! As my dad puts it, grass doesn't grow under that boy's feet. Haha!!! However, I wouldn't trade his zest for life for anything, and I figure we will spend a lot of time in the pool. The boy LOVES to swim, and this past weekend some of the swim techniques Katie learned over the past couple of years came back to her. It's important to me that my kids learn to swim well and develop a healthy respect for all things water.

I'll close with this pic of the kids enjoying some frozen yogurt under an old oak tree. Happy summer, y'all!




1 comment:

  1. Love it dear Laura!!!!! i am just so thrilled for as you enjoy this precious time with your kiddos!!!!!

    ReplyDelete